Tuesday, July 22, 2014

2 Corinthians 3 - Humble Confidence, Veils and Freedom

Humility versus Pride and Fear versus Confidence
In Christ Jesus, Paul says that he is confident but that he doesn't claim that he is either sufficient in himself nor that anything comes from himself: our sufficiency is from God (vs 4-6).   It isn't a fearful or false humility that says that we have nothing and can do nothing, nor is it a proud confidence that thinks we can do anything and that we are sufficient in ourselves.  This description is a humble confidence, one that recognizes that all we have that is of value comes from God, not ourselves, but that he has made us sufficient and capable ministers of Christ.

Veil of Moses
Paul's comments about the veil of Moses that still covers the hearts whenever Moses is read (that is the Scripture) (verses 14 and 15).  I've known a number of people who have said that before they came to Christ, they couldn't understand the Bible when they read it.  In fact, some have said that the pages of the Bible looked blank and they couldn't even see words on them at times.  But then after they put their trust in Jesus Christ and gave their lives to him, then they could not only see all of the words but they could understand and were given a desire to know and read more and more.  Shortly after I gave my life to Christ I felt a physical hunger in my body that wouldn't be affected by eating food, but would feel satisfied after I would read the Bible.  Paul is describing a spiritual condition of having the veil that covers the heart, but there are sometimes physical effects of the spiritual reality.

Freedom in Christ
Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 2 Corinthians 3:17
This verse has many applications.  Not only does it tell us about the freedom that we have in Christ in understanding his word, but it helps us at times to discern when God is speaking and working versus Satan. Jesus said that those who sin are a slave to sin (Jn 8:34) and Paul said that the elementary principles - demonic forces - used to hold us in slavery and want to make us slaves again (Gal 4:9,5:1).  Paul also says in 1 Cor 14:32 that the spirit of the prophets are subject to the prophets. So when a person is feeling a compulsion to say or do something, especially when there are feelings of condemnation if they don't speak or act, then this is usually a sign that it isn't God speaking or working in a person's life.  Jesus brings freedom, not compulsion or slavery.  He also brings conviction not condemnation (2 Cor 7:3,10).

Thank you Lord Jesus, that you set us free, give us new lives and open our eyes to see, know and understand the truth of who you are and the new life we have in you!

Glory to Glory
And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:18
As God sets us free to see him, we are transformed to look like him ("the same image") and this transformation process goes gradually from one degree of glory to the next.  John describes this sanctification process as "the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining." (1 Jn 2:8) and  Proverbs 4:8 says "But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, which shines brighter and brighter until full day."

Lord Jesus, shine your light on us and transform us that we can reflect your goodness and glory.  Let our lives be changed into your image so that we show your goodness and love in our actions that you may be glorified and that the world may know that you are God.


3 comments:

  1. For some reason my comments haven't been saved recently, so I pray to Jesus that this one works! I have struggled a lot with pride in different situations in my life, and I still pray to be humbled so that I can follow God completely. I also need to be careful to remember that the good things in my life--a job, a house, a church, close friends--are a gift from God, and I did not create them for myself. I want to give God the glory for these things in my conversations, and remember and tell other people about his answers to prayer and provision in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like your comment saved :). Amen to your comments!

      Delete
  2. I am thinking about the veil, and it is something that covers people's hearts and hinders people to see and hear the Lord God Jesus clearly. For the Israelites Paul mentions here the veil is their own thought that Christ hasn't come. For myself, I think I have a veil in some area of my heart, and it is my own thought, will and desire. Lord Jesus, please help me to turn to you completely in every area, so that the veil can be removed totally from my heart and I can see and hear you clearly!

    v17 also stands out to me. When the Lord is in a person's life, he/she is free from sin; when the Lord is in a family, the family members are free from quarrels and hatred towards each other. For a nation, I heard a saying, "where the Lord God Jesus is, there is democracy", and I believe this. Lord Jesus, I want the true freedom from you, and I hope you can give the true freedom to more people!

    ReplyDelete