Saturday, August 9, 2014

Romans 2 - Pride and Hypocrisy in Religious People

Whenever I read the Bible I know that there is a dangerous tendency to consider myself like the "good guys" or hero's and not like the "bad guys" or those with bad or sinful attitudes or actions.  The truth is that we are often like the "bad guys".
 
In Romans chapter 2, Paul is talking about and warning those who are proud and judge others, those who consider themselves better than others.  However if we don't consider how we do this and think that it is just those other "bad people" who are like this, then we are in fact demonstrating the very behavior he is warning about.

This type of hypocritical behavior was demonstrated by the religious Pharisees of Jesus time, and it is demonstrated by us, the religious Christians of our time.  As Paul says, "The name of God is blasphemed among the gentiles because of you." (v 24).  Paul was writing to believers in Jesus Christ in Rome and warning them about these attitudes and it is a warning to us who follow Jesus today.  Our hypocritical behavior causes God's great and precious name to be spoken against.

Lord Jesus have mercy on us and show us our pride and hypocrisy!  May we see our sin and folly and turn to you for forgiveness and grace!


2 comments:

  1. V1,"for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things", stands out to me. As I know judging others is a very common weakness among people including me. I believe if we really love other people through the help from God, we can overcome this weakness.
    I also have impression on v24, “God’s name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.” I heard several times that some Christians’ behaviors and words hindered unbelievers to know and trust in God. I can understand this hindrance, because in unbelievers’ eyes Christians are the representatives of Christ. Lord Jesus, I know having faith in you makes me righteous, but loving you and the people around me is the most important thing in my life. I am not perfect, but I hope that I always glorify rather than blaspheme your name. Lord, please help and lead me in my daily life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am confident in Jesus Christ because he is working in my life.
    However, I don't want to be proud of myself and hypocritical as it may blaspheme God's name.
    I pray Jesus that I can be humble and keep reminding that everything I have is from you.

    ReplyDelete