Monday, April 21, 2014

Acts Chapter 3

In chapter 3 we see Peter and John performing their first recorded healing miracle after Jesus has ascended.  And as they are quick to point out, the healing is not done by their power or righteousness but by the name of Jesus and faith in his name.

Several interesting points
1) Since this man was set out every day (v 2) it is very likely that Jesus had passed by him previously but didn't heal him.  His time to be healed came later.  The man was not expressly asking to be healed in this situation but God still healed him.

2) When the man was healed, it appears that the healing occurred at the immediate time that they were helping the man up.  It then took faith for the man to respond to being pulled up (and not say no or not try to get up thinking it impossible) and it obviously took faith on the part of Peter since there was no sign of his healing as he was beginning to pull the man up.

3) Peter proclaims that it is in the name of Jesus and faith in his name that the man is healed.  Not only were his legs healed but he has "perfect health".  He actually weaves a mini sermon into the explanation of how the man was healed.

The last note is that this is a fairly lengthy recorded sermon by Peter.

I'm challenged by this passage to listen to the Holy Spirit and see those people who are ready to be healed and come to faith in Jesus who may not be asking at the time.

In Christ,
Nathanael

5 comments:

  1. I am struck by the contrasts in Peter's message:

    Jesus was found innocent by the authorities - but you delivered him to punishment.

    You disowned the Holy and Righteous One - and asked for a murderer instead.

    He is the Prince of Life - you put him to death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great observation on the contrasts! The message is quite powerful and striking. Peter very eloquently describes Jesus and quite directly chastises the listeners "YOU delivered him to punishment" "YOU put him to death". He doesn't soften his tone or try to be politically correct, but speaks clearly and convictively.

      Delete
  2. As the Crippled Beggar had been healed and made strong in the name of Jesus, I believe Peter was made strong in the name of Jesus.
    He was the person who disowned Jesus 3 times, however I can see the confident, strong and bold witness of Jesus Christ! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the last Resurrection Sunday, I asked Pastor Nathanael a question,"Why did God create human beings?". He told me it is because of God's pleasure. Then I know the answer for the other related question, "For what does a person live?": we need to praise Him and make much pleasure to Him by obeying His word in our daily life and work. When we get honor, we need to give the honor to God, as Peter and John did! The power, grace and mercy is from God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am amazed by the way that Peter speaks to the lame beggar at the gate. The man was asking for money and probably lost hope of being healed in his body. He might not have known who Peter and John were and did not have faith to ask for healing prayer. When I think about praying for people to be healed, I usually do not think to command them to get up, or command them to be well. I pray and ask God for help in the name of Jesus Christ, and I trust in his authority to heal. However, I do not know if it is God's will to heal the person or not. I am afraid to do what Peter did, where he commanded the man to get up and walk, and took his hand to pull him up. What if the crippled man was not healed yet and got up and then fell and got hurt? Lord, please forgive my doubting. Is this action forcing the hand of God to respond? I remember I prayed together with David and a new friend of ours for a girl who was on crutches because her ankle was damaged. We asked to pray for her and she agreed. We cried out for God to heal her and laid hands on the wound. I felt that the Holy Spirit was with us, but we did not do this kind of bold testing of the healing. When we finished praying we asked her how she felt, and she said that the pain was reduced and she was able to move her foot pretty well. However I did not feel this confidence to tell her to put down the crutches and walk on it. I was afraid of what would happen if she put down the crutches and started to walk when it was not healed yet. I thought "What if she falls, or feels pain again somehow?" Still I think it is good to test and see if the healing is done. I think that through the Holy Spirit, Peter and John knew that the healing would be accomplished. I pray to know when God will heal someone immediately and have the faith to test it.

    ReplyDelete