Saturday, April 19, 2014

Acts Chapter 1

Acts is a very interesting and exciting Book.  As we see from the first verse, Luke is writing and he picks up from where he left off in the Gospel of Luke.  The Gospel focused on all that Jesus began to do and teach - and using the word began it is hinting that the book of Acts is a continuation of what Jesus is doing and teaching.  While of course it is focusing on the Acts of the Apostles, since the job of the Holy Spirit is to remind us of all that Jesus did and taught (John 14:26) and give to them new things from Jesus as well (John 16:15).

Acts is always interesting and exciting to me because we as disciples and followers of Jesus can get a glimpse into the lives of the first believers who are now to be witnesses for Jesus just as we are.  We can see their joys and triumphs and their difficulties and it gives me encouragement and expectation as we walk in Christ as to the things he can and is willing to do in and through us by his Holy Spirit.

In this first chapter, several things stood out to me:
1) In verse 3 it says "he gave them many convincing proofs that he was alive"  That seems to indicate two things to me 1) they were still struggling at some level to believe that he was actually alive 2) as they were to be his witnesses (v.8) they would need specific evidence to tell others and prove to them that Jesus was alive.

As we are approaching Resurrection Sunday, these proofs and evidences are certainly quite important and interesting for us as well.  I think it is interesting to note that in verse 8 Jesus was eating with them while telling them that they were to be his witnesses, and eating in itself is one of those evidences and proofs that Jesus gave - since spirits don't eat (see Luke 24:43).  We certainly have many proofs and evidence and we should be familiar with them so we too can be witnesses to Christ's resurrection.

That leads me to the second thing that stood out:
2) We are to be Jesus Christ's witnesses (1:8) - that is, those who speak about and defend the fact that he is true and has risen from the dead - and some will defend that to their death as martyrs (which is the Greek word for witness).

That witnessing comes after the empowering from the Holy Spirit who gives us the power to witness not just in our town (Jerusalem) but to the neighboring regions (Judea), into foreign countries (Samaria) and to the ends of the world.

3) Verse 11 - Jesus will come back in the same way that the disciples saw him leave - coming down out of the sky in plain view.  This is always neat to see and be reminded of Jesus' return (which could be quite soon based on things happening in the world today).

4) Finally in verses 16 and 17 when discussing Judas, Peter remarks that he was one of their number and part of their ministry.  It is always interesting to me how Jesus bore with Judas during his ministry even knowing that Judas was to betray him.  It reminds me of the wheat and weeds - Matt 13:24.

I look forward to reading your comments and what things that spoke to you as well.

In Christ,
Pastor Nathanael

5 comments:

  1. (Re-posting WunGwi's message as a comment)
    Hi pastor Nathanael,
    Thanks for your organization for the bible reading group.
    I'd like to join this reading group,
    At the bible reading of Acts 1, God was telling me through V7.
    "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem"

    God clearly states the attitude of us as christians. We can't know the time when Jesus will come/ Be the witnesses of Jesus, and do that in Jerusalem (today: where non-christian place or doesn't welcome Christians) with confidence in holy spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been a part of a growing church. Alive? Yes. But never growing - maybe even shrinking. I think that has left me with either pessimism, fear of failure, or embarrassment – all things that must be overcome. Since I saw a sharp distinction between the churches I attended through my life and what I perceived to be spiritual shallowness in other, larger churches, it is hard for me to imagine a spiritually deep and mature church that is also growing.

    I have heard that the three proven components for church growth in America are vibrant children's services, good music, and engaging preaching. I have attended church services with well developed children's ministries and high-production-value music, but still felt that the experience was superficial. Looking at the lives of men such as Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the prophet Jeremiah, I can see that success is defined by obedience to God, not by “numbers.” But is that the right attitude to have if God is wanting to expand a church and reach the billions of unsaved persons?

    When Pastor Nathanael started talking about church planting and church growth, I began to read through Acts on my own. Now I am restarting. The explosive growth of the early church certainly does not seem to be defined by “vibrant children’s services” and “good music,” although it certainly involved engaging preaching! Americans have an expectation to be entertained, perhaps, rather than challenged.

    In the first chapter of Acts I see the steps of the growth of the early church begin with:

    1. Jesus gathers his disciples together in one place and tells them to wait for a particular promise from God to be fulfilled.

    2. The disciples and other followers, with one mind, devote themselves continuously to prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a new believer, I am thinking about "many convincing proofs that he was alive" (verse 3).
    I summarize some evidences that I know for the resurrection of Jesus:

    1. The tomb was empty
    Jews and Romans didn’t steal the body, or they could show the body when Jesus’ disciples claimed the resurrection of Jesus.
    It doesn’t make sense that Jesus’ disciples stole the body, claimed the resurrection of Jesus, and died for the artificial belief.
    So the probable explanation for the empty tomb is Jesus rose from the dead.

    2. Jesus’ disciples became brave
    When Jesus was flogged and crucified, the disciples were cowardly and afraid of Jews and Romans, but later they became brave to claim the resurrection of Jesus and preach the gospel even facing persecution, torment, and death. This is because Jesus showed himself to the disciples and stayed with them, convincing that He rose from the dead and is God.

    3. The drastic conversion of Paul and Jesus’ bother, James.
    At first Paul persecuted Christians, but later he preached gospel and died for his faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. James initially suspected his brother, Jesus, but later he became a courageous church leader and died for his faith in Jesus Christ. This is also because Jesus rose from the dead and showed himself to them and changed them their hearts.

    4. People’s lives change (including my life) because of the faith in Jesus Christ.

    Jesus rose from the dead and is alive today and forever. Because of his resurrection, our sins can be forgiven and we can be saved.
    When I preach the gospel to unbelievers, I can tell them these evidences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I was reading through acts 1, I noticed that in verse 14 that the people were coming together to pray constantly in one accord/mind.
    I did some word study using blue letter bibles interlinear concordance and came accross this word which has to do with "HOW" they were praying.

    Homothymadon: with one mind, with one accord, with one passion.
    A unique Greek word, used 10 of its 12 occurrences in the book of Acts, helps us understand the uniqueness of the christian community. Homothymadon is a compound of two words meaning to "rush along" and "in unison". The image is almost musical; a number of notes are sounded which, while different, harmonize in pitch and tone. As the instruments of a great concert under the direction of a concert master, so the Holy Spirit blends together the lives of members of Christ's church.

    I know I have been lacking in coming together with other believers in this kind of community lately. I think it would be helpful to maybe pray with someone/a group even if it is over the phone as I travel for work sometimes. I find that if I am isolated from community I can get discouraged sometimes, and while I do feel that there are certain loads I need to learn how to bear as becoming a young man in Christ, I definitely see a gap of where I currently am and where the early church was in their level of oneness and community in pursuing God. I know participating in this blog and daily reading will help a great deal. Thanks for setting this up Nathanael!

    ReplyDelete