Sunday, June 8, 2014

Galatians Chapter 5 - True Freedom to Love

Have you ever witnessed a public argument or debate where one person gives an insult to the other side and those listening react loudly with things like "Whoa!" or "Oh man!".  This is what happens in this chapter.

Paul has been arguing vigorously against persons who are coming in and deceiving the Galatian believers.  He is not arguing just to argue, but he is defending and arguing for the very lives of his children in Christ, the Galatian believers.  He shows that those deceiving them are telling lies, that the lies are not from God, and rather than giving help as they claim, they are creating bondage and robbing them of their benefit in Christ.  He then seals off the argument with a rather shocking statement that he wishes that those who were forcing circumcision on the Galatians would go the whole way and emasculate themselves (v 12).  That comment makes me wince a bit and it is like the final nail on the coffin lid, burying the argument.

Paul then shifts away from the argument and tells the Galatians what the purpose of their freedom in Christ is: to serve one another in love (v 13). Often when people first gain new found freedom, the urge is to indulge their own desires - the desires of the sinful nature (or "flesh" - the term Paul often uses).  We often see this happening as young people go off to college and are on their own for the first time.  We also see this in adults when they go on vacation etc.  So Paul warns them and says that this new freedom in Christ is not to gratify the cravings of the sinful nature (v 13,16), but rather to grow in love being led by the Spirit.

Paul then gives a great list of some of the actions and desires of the sinful nature: "sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these."  When we look at our world today, we see that these items are generally gaining in frequency and often declared to be "ok" or "good".  Paul gives a clear warning that "that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God" (v 21).  Then Paul gives the list of the actions and attitudes that should be present in our lives in place of the evil: "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control".

In the first group of bad things, there is generally a selfish inward focus that causes or is at the root of the sins.  In the second group of the good things, the focus is outward - giving and serving others.  As Paul said, "love your neighbor as your self" sums up these things.  Love is putting the needs of others above your own, seeking their own best interest ahead of your own.

Lord, help us to love you with all of our hearts and help us to love those around us.  You showed us how to love when you gave your life up for us.  Help me to love and serve others and not become weary or be discouraged, but to press on in your life and love!  Lead us by your Spirit and empower us anew with your Spirit that we may love, not in our strength, but with yours!

5 comments:

  1. As pastor Nathanael mentioned already, the sinful nature described in V19-20 is sometimes even considered as cool.
    Many people in modern society is shouting Liberty, especially at many movies, Tatto shop, Gay bar.
    So, that concept should be distributed from Freedom.
    Doing whatever I want is not Freedom.
    Principality and Power is always waiting for the opportune time to use our sinful desire.
    If we are not careful about that, we may be swayed by their attack.

    We need the clear guideline and disciplines that God gave us.
    That help us to be free from our sin!

    V22 is always good. I love the song of this verse. 'The fruit of the spirit'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this argument that Paul makes to be very interesting because it would seem like telling new believers to follow the Old Testament law is a good thing to do, but Paul is very angry about this and warns the Galatians that if they give in to this teaching and become circumcised then they will be separated from Jesus. Paul shows that the true gospel does not depend on following the laws given by Moses--although God does not change his holiness. He provided Jesus as the way for all people who have faith in him to be saved, and the people who are getting circumcised are actually turning from faith in Jesus alone, and instead are beginning to trust in their own ability to obey the laws from the Old Testament. I think Paul writes a lot in many places that the laws of the Old Testament were not given in order to save people from sin, but rather to reveal God's holiness and his perfect requirements. The laws actually reveal sin and make us aware of the fact that we fall short and need mercy from God. Jesus is the source of mercy and forgiveness and we need to trust in him and his work on the cross. I know that I have been confused about this before, but only after I chose to trust in Jesus alone for forgiveness and saving me from sin did I experience freedom.

    I felt before the slavery to sin, and I do not want to return to that slavery. I trust in Jesus and the Holy Spirit to give me help and direction to stay away from things that are bad and will cause me to be a slave again. This is the way to maintain freedom in Christ. And Jesus also provides gifts and fruit of the Holy Spirit to make life so much better and allows me to give to others and care for others much more than I could before. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for these changes that you make in my life, and I pray for more changes to come and look forward to your working in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a teenager and young man, lust was a significant struggle for me. I often prayed for help to "crucify to sinful desires of the flesh" (Galatians 5:24). Now, I work with a lot of individuals who struggle with sexual and chemical addictions, and other bodily sins. I wonder, what is the practical application... how can one actually crucify the sinful desires of the flesh, or this is more of a spiritual working?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I knew Jesus Christ and had faith in Him, I was struggling in the sinful desires of the flesh: sexual videos and pictures and masturbation. These desires gave me many pleasant sensations. But they were temporary, and later I felt more empty in my flesh and heart, so indulged in them deeper and deeper. Nobody could change and save me including myself. After I received the Lord God Jesus, I knew He was with me, watching me, and help me. I could defeat the thoughts and actions of these desires by praying and even crying out to our Father in Heaven. Through continually reading Bible and praying to Lord Jesus with sincere heart and soul and mind, I can win the daily battle against my sinful desires of flesh. I am very sure if I stop reading the words of God and praying to Him with sincere heart, I will fail in these battles.

      I would like to share a very nice testimony of a man named Christopher Yuan, who was addicted in homosexuality and drugs and later called by God to be His servant and son:
      http://www.cclife.org/View/Article/1360
      or a short one:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHu8ko6ByyQ

      Lord Jesus, thank you for your grace and mercy on me. Only you can cleanse us our sinful desires, and without having faith in you I will fail.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing that great testimony!

      Delete