Friday, June 27, 2014

1 Corinthians 8b - Idols? Demons? Today?

When we read Paul discussing idols and demons in this letter and other places, some people have a hard time relating to or understanding the statements.  Often these are thought of as either problems relegated to times past, far away countries or things that our scientific viewpoint proclaims to be a myth. But just as these were real problems then, they are real problems today.

Food offered to Idols
Paul's statements about eating meat and idols can be confusing if we don't understand some of the historical context of what is happening.  I've know people who determined after reading verse 13 without context that they should not eat meat ("Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.").  To get more context of Paul's comments it is helpful to also look at Chapter 10 were we see more of the historical situation: In those days and in Greece and many parts of the Roman empire, idolatry was quite rampant and people very often sacrificed meat to idols and then would either sell the meat in the market or would eat it themselves and invite guests to join them in a meal. The question then is should a Christian eat meat sacrificed to an idol?  In 1 Corinthians 10:20 Paul clarifies that while idols are not in fact gods and not in any way equal to God, there are demons - evil spirits - that are behind/inside/a part of the idols that we cannot join with (10:20).  He says it is fine to eat any meat that is sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience (10:25).  He also says if you are invited to an unbeliever's house and they offer you food, eat what is given to you without raising questions of conscience (10:27) but if they tell you that the food is offered to an idol, then don't eat it for their conscience' sake (10:28-29).

So there are two reasons to for believers not to eat meat in such a situation where the meat may have been offered to demons: 1) because it may violate the conscience of a younger believer 2) it is participating with a demon.

What? Today?
But you may say "Wait! Aren't the idols not real and thus they cannot affect us?"  Unfortunately that is the incorrect conclusion that Christians sometimes arrive at.  Especially in our scientific/modern era we often have a view that not only are idols not real, but also demons are not real.  I know of missionaries who have gone to other countries and have taken "artifacts" (actually idols) into their homes, thinking that they are just interesting cultural objects, without understanding that evil spirits are attached to them.  Then their family gets affected with sicknesses, tormenting dreams and other mental and physical problems until they get rid of the idol and pray for God's help.  I've even been in such a situation when I should have know better.  On a mission trip to Africa, our team broke into smaller groups and on a given Sunday went to speak at various churches around the area we were visiting.  Afterwards, my host church gave me a gift of some traditional clothing and a cane with an eagles head at the top.  There was nothing wrong with the clothing, but before I returned, God gave Pastor Gordon and Debbie a picture of an eagle - matching the cane I received.  When I arrived and they saw the cane, they told me what God had shown them so I went and got rid of the cane. Then as Pastor Gordon prayed for me, I threw up as God gave me freedom from the demonic influence.  This may sound unusual or even "superstitious" but the fact is that demons are real and we are not to participate with them (as Paul points out in 10:20 and as Jesus drove out many and as John warns about idols in 1 John 5:21).

The distinction that Paul is drawing here is to food sacrificed to idols, which are not the objects of worship themselves and the idol itself.  We cannot participate with idols because even though they are lifeless and are not gods, there is a demon associated with that object of worship and it can negatively affect us.

There is much more that can be said about this, but I'll leave it there for now.

Father, protect us from the evil one and help us to flee from and and stay free from idols.

5 comments:

  1. I agree it is very important not to keep demonic stuff/idols at home. I have a question about the stuff containing the pictures of animals. It may be easy to recognize some animals, for instance, dragon, serpent and snake. But it is not easy to recognize other animals. For instance, eagle and other birds. As I know, pictures of eagles are common in US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not trying to say that all pictures of animals or even forms of them are evil. In general there is usually not a problem with pictures or images of animals unless they are used in worship of some kind (e.g. they are an object that someone viewed as a god and worshiped). That is not to say that just because someone in India worships a cow that therefore all cow pictures and images are bad. What I am saying is that if the specific picture or object was used by someone as an object of worship, then that specific object is a problem. As you mention, there are some images that pretty universally have a negative Biblical symbol - dragons, snakes - that I wouldn't have in my house at all.

      Delete
  2. Hey Pastor Nathanael,
    After reading this I started thinking about common idols now-a-day. I thought of Movies and T.V. shows. I know that there is not complete symmetry between a physical idol and a piece of media, but I am wondering if they can have demonic holds both the same.
    I went to the Lord for an answer was just turned to the thought of a scary how scary movies open the door to bad dreams.
    I remember this clearly. I used to have my dad pray off any scary movie or commercial that I saw. I remember him praying to The Lord asking that demons would not have permission to torment me in my sleep so I could have a peaceful rest. Oh and how I remember how well it worked...

    So I guess my question here is, do you think that a demonic hold can be put on media much the same as a physical idol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cody! Great question! Yes, demonic influence can come via media, though probably for a slightly different reason than an idol.

      The problem with the idols that are worshiped as Paul points out in 1 Cor 10:20 that there is a demon that is what is actually being worshiped.

      When we consider things like movies and other media there are several ways that Satan and his angels can get involved and negatively affect us:
      1) fear - this was the example you gave
      2) inspiration of content

      Fear is a powerful emotion that Satan can sometimes use to gain a hold over people. In Isaiah 47:12 we see that the goal of some sorcery is to cause terror and fear. The ultimate purpose of the fear is to keep us from following and trusting in God. Heb 2:14-15 describes how Jesus delivers us from the power of the devil who has held us in slavery by the fear of death.

      Also, as I described in a previous post (http://discipleshipinternational.blogspot.com/2014/05/acts-chapter-19.html) I commented on how the devil and his demons influence the imaginations of writers of much of our media today. That is why there is so much interest in witchcraft, werewolves, the dead etc. These topics in movies and media are both influenced by demons and can bring negative influence on our lives.

      Also, we certainly have many idols in our world today - money, power, cars, intelligence etc. Idols are things that we worship or value as the most important thing or that we trust in for help. We put them in the place where God should be.

      I'm glad to hear and see that you are pursuing God! Thanks again for the participation and questions!

      Delete