Wednesday, June 11, 2014

1 Corinthians Chapter 1 - God's Power and Wisdom vs Our Weakness and Foolishness

As Paul opens his letter he says that he is writing along with Sosthenes, who appears to be the synagogue ruler originally from Corinth who was beaten in front of the tribunal in Acts 18:17 after the Jewish leaders unsuccessfully tried to stir up problems for Paul on his first visit to Corinth.

Also in his introduction, Paul gives a definition of a "saint" as those in every place who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.  This is in contrast to a common misconception that people have today that "saints" are some special class of believers.  The fact is that everyone who trusts in Jesus Christ is called to be a saint - someone who has been set apart from the world to belong to Jesus.  This echos the word for "church" which has a literal meaning of "those persons who have been called out" and in context, have been called out of the world to belong to Jesus.  Let us live up to that calling!

God's Power and Wisdom
The first aspect of God's power mentioned is his work in the lives of the Corinthians that enriched their speech and knowledge, gave them spiritual gifts and will sustain them guiltless until Christ's return (v 4-8). Then God's power is also demonstrated in rescuing us from sin and death through the cross of Christ and through Christ himself. This power is described as foolishness, folly and a stumbling block to those who haven't (yet, in some cases) trusted in Christ and are thus perishing.

Have you ever known someone who thought that they were very wise or smart but clearly they weren't?  It is like the word "sophomore" which literally means "wise fool".  A foolish person who thinks themselves wise often knows some things but not enough to recognize the limit to their knowledge and to know humility. There are many who think themselves wise in respect to the nature of life through science but as Romans 1:21-22 describes, "their foolish hearts were darkened" because they suppress the truth about God and don't honor or thank him. I love Paul's comparison of God to us: The foolishness of God is wiser than man's greatest wisdom and the weakness of God is stronger that men's strength.  

Thank you Lord God for your wisdom and power and your mercy!  Thank you for having mercy on me, a sinner who is foolish and was separated from you.  Thank you for displaying your power and your wisdom in and through me and all those who have fully put their trust in you!




1 comment:

  1. I am thinking about myself when I was called by God to know Him and follow Him. I was not wise by human standards, not influential, and not of noble birth. I believe God gives me some gifts: kindness, gentleness, perseverance, etc., and I thank Him for making me me. I hope I can use my gifts in my daily life to live a Christians life, and also hope I can receive wisdom and power from Him to solve the problems in my daily life.

    ReplyDelete