Thursday, June 26, 2014

1 Corinthians Chapter 8 - When Being Right is Wrong

When Being Right is Wrong
Have you ever been so fixated on being "right" that even though you may be right, in the end your actions or attitudes caused more harm than good?  Unfortunately, I've been in this situation more times than I'd wish.  Just recently in a Bible study, of all places, I was so fixated on the "correct" meaning and interpretation that I treated another person in the Bible study poorly and cut them off when in reality their statements were very much in line with the broader context and meaning that Jesus was trying to tell us.  There have been times where I've done similar things with my wife, my children or co-workers.  I may have been "right" but because of the way that I pushed or acted, I caused injury to the relationship that I had to go back and apologize for.

Paul is discussing a similar situation in this chapter as the Corinthians have asked him about food sacrificed to idols.  There is much to say about idolatry and food sacrificed to idols, but the bigger issue addressed here is knowledge that puffs up versus love that builds up.  Knowledge is often focused on "me" - how much I know, how right I am - and love is focused on the other person - how can I help, encourage or build you up. As we saw in the chapter 6 related to lawsuits, sometimes it is better to be wronged or cheated than to push for our "rights" and/or prove that we are "right".  James talks about a wisdom from above versus a wisdom that is earthly and demonic.  "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere." (James 3:17).  Whew!  A whole sermon or book could be written about that verse!  Several of the characteristics of this wisdom relate specifically to a love-focused relationship to others (peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy, impartial).  This is in contrast to the "wisdom from below" which is jealous, has selfish ambition, is boastful (James 3:14).

The net of this is that for all the value that our current society places on knowledge, knowledge by itself often creates wrong attitudes in us if it is not balanced with an attitude where we are looking out for the best interests of others instead of focusing on ourselves.

Some Corinthians were so focused on what they thought they knew about idols not being real gods (which is true), they were causing other brothers in Christ who are newer believers to be led into sin or to violate their consciences because of the thoughtless examples of those who had "knowledge".

Father God, help me to see others through your eyes and to show love rather than be puffed up with prideful knowledge.  I thank you for your mercy to me and that you are changing me into your image!

There is much more to say about this chapter, but since there is so much, I'll break it into separate posts :)

1 comment:

  1. I have also been in this situation that I think I am right but at end I am wrong. The reason is I believe what I say and do should be right based on common conscience and even the Bible but actually I only consider one aspect and miss other more important aspects. My knowledge and understanding is limited.

    I like God's words, "Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up", and I resonate with your comments, "Knowledge is often focused on 'me', and love is focused on the other person". The more the knowledge I have, the more the humility I need. So I would not be stumbled by my own knowledge.

    Lord Jesus, my knowledge and love is limited, but yours is unlimited. I am often arrogant but you are always humble. Please forgive me my pride, and help me to care more about others' feeling than my own. Lord, I don't want others to be stumbled because of my limited knowledge. Keep me humble.

    ReplyDelete