Tuesday, May 27, 2014

1 Thessalonians Chapter 5

This chapter is loaded with some very interesting things!
First off, after Paul had talked about the return of Jesus in the previous chapter, he begins by saying that he doesn't need to tell them about dates of that happening because they are aware that it will be at a time when no one knows, but that they will not be surprised like those who are in darkness.

He then plays with the word "sleep" and uses it in a different way and then again as a gentler term for death.  He says "let us not sleep, as others do, but keep awake" and be sober.  Clearly this cannot refer to death, since we don't have the ability to choose not to die, but Paul is now describing a "dark" lifestyle that is staying up at night and getting drunk.  He says that we should be sleeping at night, not getting drunk and we should be awake during the day.  He is calling the believers away from the late night partying, drunkenness and other sins that happen at night and saying to sleep at night.  And then they won't need to be sleeping during the day, like those who are "of the night" because with the night go the other sinful activity.  He says that we should stay away from such sinful activity because we are not destined for wrath - God's judgment - but for salvation through Jesus Christ.  Whether we live or die we will live with Christ.  So we are to encourage one another to stay away from such sin and encourage one another to live righteously in Christ Jesus.

Both as a father and as a pastor, I have found the simple, practical rule of getting to sleep on time and not staying up too late to be quite helpful for avoiding sins of the night such as sexual temptation and drunken temptation.  As a child I thought such rules were silly, but now I see the great benefits.  Obviously some people have to work at night and that is not what is being talked about.  But for those who are awake for reasons other than work, there is generally nothing good for you that is happening after midnight.  So as Paul, I encourage us to be people of the day, who sleep at night and are awake and alert during the day.

Paul then closes with some more practical instructions.  He had sent Timothy to encourage them and to appoint elders, so Paul says to respect and esteem them highly in love.  Any time there are other people put in charge, there are some who bristle under authority and need instruction and reminders to respect that authority.  Learning to live under and respect authority is an important discipleship growth step.

Then he has some densely packed instructions that carry important principles.  They seem to be more aimed at the leaders, but certainly have application for all.
1) admonish the idle - firmly warn and reprimand that they need to be working
2) encourage the fainthearted - stand with, hold up, help along those who are weak or afraid
3) help the weak - similar to previous but now in physical sense or those who haven't grown strong - they young in Christ
4) be patient with them all - an overriding instruction, a fruit of the spirit, and an attitude that we should have toward all people we interact with

Don't repay evil for evil but do good to one another and others.  He starts with those who are brothers and sisters in Christ, because those relationships are closer and rub against us more and yes, within the body of Christ we can be treated evilly. But in all situations, we are to repay with good.

1) Rejoice always - as Paul did even when in prison
2) Pray without ceasing - the key to #1 and to following Christ in general
3) Give thanks in all circumstances - another key to #1 - remembering the good things that God has done opens the way for salvation (Ps 50:23) and brings the peace that passes understanding (Phil 4:6-7)
4) Do not quench the Spirit - don't stop, prevent or not listen to the working of the Spirit (such as prophecy)
5) Do not despise prophecy - don't prevent it, don't ignore it.  In my life I have felt the bristling under prophetic words, generally due to sin and or the need for deliverance from the Queen of Heaven/spirit of Jezebel who opposes the prophets.  We must choose for truth.  We lose a valuable gift from God when we despise prophecy.
6) Test everything, hold to what is good - an instruction about prophecy but also applies to teaching and other words.  We need to recognize that not all prophecy and teaching are from God.  We must test them against the word of God and hold onto what is good.
7) Abstain from every form of evil - as we test everything, whether prophecies, teaching, actions, attitudes of our hearts, we are to align ourselves to God's standard and avoid and stop all that is evil.

Paul finishes with a blessing and encouragement that God himself will sanctify them completely - spirit, body and soul.  God wants all of us to be holy - our minds - thoughts, our body - actions, our soul - our emotions (joy) and our spirit - our inner decisions and communion with God.  Clearly this is a change that requires the work of God and the good news is that he is faithful and will do it.

Lord, please wash us and cleanse us so that all of us belongs to you and all of us brings glory to you.  Let us be holy as you are holy.

Paul then closes with a request for prayer, a greeting to all, a command to have the letter read to all and a blessing of God's gift to their lives.

Lord Jesus, I thank you for your goodness!  I thank you that you have called us and you save us and change us and make us like you!  You are good and you are loving and I thank you for your mercy on me!  I love you Lord Jesus!



4 comments:

  1. I have heard a lot of Christians argue against the Wesleyan / Holiness doctrine of 'total sanctification' or 'entire sanctification' or even 'Christian perfection.' It was interesting to me to see a basis for that doctrine pop up in this chapter!

    1 Thessalonians 5:23a - "Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely..." [NASB]

    A number of denominations oppose the idea that a Christian can become sinless in this life, decrying such attempts as legalism or works-based salvation. Yet Jesus calls us to "be perfect" (Matthew 5:48). What does God expect from us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question! I know that God is wanting us to be "complete"/"perfect" and that God calls us to holiness. I do know these things 1) I have not yet attained to "completion" (as Paul also says at one point that he hasn't yet taken hold of the goal/become perfect - Phil 3:12; but later says that he has "finished the race" 2 Tim 4:7)
    2) The completion and work of change is God's work in us - 2 Thess 1:11 (see my comments on that chapter); Phil 1:6
    3) We also have work to do and choices to make in that process (again see comments on 2 Thess 1 in next blog post - also 2 Cor 7:1)
    4) God uses hardship/suffering/trials to bring us to completion/perfection - James 1:2-4
    5) Those who know God will stop/turn from evil - (2 Tim 2:19; 1 John 3:6)

    Hopefully in Christ we can attain to the prize in this life as Paul seems to have in 2 Tim 4:7, but we know that God will complete the work in us at the day of Christ Jesus (Phil 1:6).
    So we must press on toward the goal, to attain the prize of the upward call in Christ. Lord Jesus do your work in us to change us and give us the will to do your will - completely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was touched by the many encouragements and commands in this chapter, and felt encouraged by the Holy Spirit to examine my daily lifestyle and think about what changes to make. I feel glad that I can know that Jesus is coming again, and I do not have to be surprised or caught off guard about that. This also reminds me that I should be speaking to other people as God leads me to remind them who Jesus is and that he is coming soon. We can be ready for his return by asking for forgiveness for our sins and making the choice to stop those wrong behaviors and thoughts. I know that I used to belong to the night or darkness, but now because of God's work and forgiveness I feel confident of being a son of the light and day. Now I want to live daily as a son of the light--I want to be spiritually awake, alert and self-controlled, asking God what to do in each situation and listening for his direction, and doing that. I think it's interesting that Paul mentions putting on some spiritual armor here, and reminds me to put on my armor each day and each time I feel the need. I like this reminder that Jesus gave his life for me so that I can live together with him. Thank God for his deep love!

    I also see this set of commands that I want to be obey. I think the ones I need to work on the most are to live in peace with everyone without arguing, being patient and kind to everyone, have a more consistent prayer life and give thanks to God even in hard circumstances. There are a lot of commands here, and I want to be doing them all, and as the previous chapter said, encouraging me to do them more and more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul gave us instructions on how to live as a Christian, and I would like to work on them step by step in my daily life. It is important for me to respect those who are over me in the Lord and who admonish me. Learning tameness is an important discipline growth step for me. In addition, I know that ignoring prophecy may miss the words from God. Lord Jesus, please help me to test everything in my daily life and listen to your words carefully.

    ReplyDelete