Wednesday, May 28, 2014

2 Thessalonians Chapter 1

This letter starts out almost the same as the first letter to the Thessalonians but has an amazing change that follows.

He again says that he gives thanks always for them - which is right - because their faith and love are growing abundantly.  Again we see Paul as a loving parent, always bringing his children before God in prayer and with thanksgiving.  That is a good model both for parents and for leaders or any kind.

He also says that he boasts about them to others - for their steadfastness of faith in the face of all the persecutions and sufferings.  This again is interesting because he is telling others about how good they are doing - so this is also good to do as a parent - share the good news.  He is also telling them that he is boasting to others.  Clearly he is encouraging them and building them up in the face of suffering.  Sometimes we are uncertain about if and how much we should praise others, especially our children or those under our care, but Paul is not afraid to point out those good things, to boast to others and to let them know that he is doing so and that he is pleased with them.  My default instinct when someone is going through difficulty is to try to get them out of the difficulty.  But in some cases, this is not possible and probably not the best approach anyway.  This is a great lesson to husbands, parents, and leaders: when those you are serving are going through a difficulty, we need to encourage them by telling them all the good that they are doing, bragging on them to others and letting them know that we are doing so.  This encouragement will help them to keep going as we pray with them and as God is working out his plans in their lives.

Thank you Lord Jesus for teaching me and showing me how to live, how to be a godly husband, father and a pastor.  Your ways are good and they are right and true.

Obviously the Thessalonians are facing quite a bit of persecution because Paul not only encourages them with the positives that they are doing, but he also lays out the negatives that will come on those who are persecuting and attacking them.  This can also be important for us at times.  It is like when David was struggling in Psalm 73 with the prosperity of the wicked.  Why is it that the wicked seem to have all go well with them?  David struggled with this until he went into God's sanctuary and then he realized/remembered the ultimate outcome of the life of the wicked - judgement, separation and pain.

Thank you Lord Jesus for your mercy on me.  Though I deserve your judgement, you have called me out of darkness into your light, you have forgiven me, made me new and given me a living hope and salvation in your name.  Help me to keep my eyes on you, especially during hard times.

One thing caught my eye in Paul's statement of blessing: "To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power" (v11- ESV).  He asks for God to do two things: 1) make them worthy of his calling 2) fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith.  That is an AMAZING prayer! I think that it very nicely shows the balance between God's sovereign power ("God may make you..." - God is the one making the changes in us and enabling us to to do right) and our choice ("every resolve for good and every work of faith").  The "every resolve for good" (or "desire for goodness" NIV,NASB) is of particular interest.  He is asking that God bring about/fulfill every resolution/desire for good that is in our hearts.  Here our desire for good is met with God's power to bring about his will so that Jesus may be glorified!

I thank you Lord Jesus, that you have the power to change us and make us in your image.  I pray that you will shape and mold me in your image, in your plans to bring glory to your name.  I thank you for your love and goodness and your power!  Lord you are good and your mercy endures forever!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I think this chapter is great! I really liked Paul's description of the second coming of Jesus and how he will be revealed from heaven with blazing fire and with the holy angels. This will be fearful sight for all, and the Lord will separate his people from those who do not know him and those who are not obedient to the gospel of Jesus. I thought this description is interesting and makes me afraid for those who do not know God and do not obey him. I know that I am learning to know God because of his gift of forgiveness and his words of mercy, and he is giving me faith in Jesus. But how can I watch and not say anything to people I know who are heading towards destruction as described here. Lord, please help me to speak up and live as an example to those around me who need you and don't realize it. And I pray for my friends who are beginning to realize their need for Jesus that they will hear the voice of God and turn away from sin and ask Jesus for mercy. I also pray for myself to stay faithful to following God and obey the gospel of Jesus Christ and to do this more and more.

    I also thought the prayer was amazing that Paul makes for these people, that God will change them into noble vessels that are useful to him and "worthy of his call." I know that by myself I am not worthy of God, and most of the time it is hard to believe that he loves me and cares for me because of my sins and failures and doubts. But I also pray that he will change me to become a man worthy of his calling and useful in his house.

    I thought it was interesting that Paul prays for God to establish the works that the Christians are doing in faith, their purposes to do good, and the things they feel prompted to do. Sometimes I feel uncertain about doing certain things--like standing up in public places at Georgia Tech to speak about the gospel of Jesus. These are things that I feel are mostly fantasy, and don't think that they are actually the Holy Spirit leading me to do that. Still, are these the kinds of actions that Paul is praying for? I think I might be confused about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I indeed felt strengthened in difficult times when senior persons encouraged me, and I could keep going. As a husband, I also need to encourage my wife when she is in difficult times and point out all the good she is doing. Lord Jesus, please lead me to speak encouragement words to people around me when they need.

    ReplyDelete