Monday, May 12, 2014

Acts Chapter 24 - Paul before Felix

This chapter continues the epic-proportioned scenes fit for a big-budget movie.
Paul is in prison in Caesarea, being brought on trial before Felix. In one corner is the Jewish leaders with their golden voiced prosecutor, Tertullus, and in the other corner is Paul.

After Tertullus presents the accusations, Paul presents his defense.  At this stage he doesn't get too deep into the Gospel, but simply says that the accusations are untrue and unprovable, ending his statement with a teaser about the resurrection from the dead.

This reminds me of Paul's statement in Col 4:6 that our conversation should be full of grace and seasoned with salt.  Paul doesn't dump on the whole story of his conversation and faith in Jesus here, but simply leaves a bit of salt to pique the interest.  And we see that Felix is in fact intrigued and keeps asking for Paul to come back to him and tell him more.  In these later opportunities, Paul was able to talk about righteousness, self-control and the coming judgement which made Felix alarmed.

This is a good model for us to use as we speak with unbelievers.  Many times we feel compelled to dump on them the entirety of our testimony and about faith in God etc. and the listeners aren't ready, aren't asking those questions and get either bored or overwhelmed.  Paul here is demonstrating what I compare to fishing with a hook and line.  He puts out some bait to see if the listener is interested.  Then if they are, they come back with questions asking more.  At any point, there is a need to not share too much, but keep the conversation with a sprinkling of salt and full of grace.  As the Holy Spirit stirs the person, they come back with additional questions and we then are able to give a reason for the hope that we have.

Paul at this point is allowed freedom while in prison and friends can come to him and provide for his needs.  God is giving Paul a platform to speak the Good News to persons such as Felix and his court, who would not have otherwise had a chance to hear the Good News.  It appears that Felix doesn't choose to follow Jesus Christ at this point, but he certainly was given a chance.

Lord Jesus, give us wisdom as we speak to those around us to be your faithful witnesses.  Help us to speak plainly, following the lead of your Holy Spirit.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that I have not been keeping up with all the comments on the blog, but I am enjoying the reading and I am blessed by Pastor Nathanael's commentary each day.

    I was also intrigued by how Paul adapts what he says to fit the situation, and he does not always provide so many details about his conversion or the gospel unless people are showing interest to hear that. Paul has opportunity in this trial to speak a little bit about his belief in God and the general resurrection, which I also think is an interesting point for me and most people.

    I thought it was interesting how Felix wanted to hear more about the gospel from Paul, and even felt convicted after hearing about sin and judgment, but it seems like he does not go further than that. I want to be careful to recognize both when people are being drawn by God to hear the gospel and know more about relationship with Jesus, but also be aware of when people are not accepting the words or are unwilling to change. Sometimes I think this negative response can be subtle, and I want to be able to tell the difference so that I be more helpful in the conversations and not assume that everything is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments on Paul's preaching helps me to know the importance of caring about listeners' interest and attention.

    I think the reason why Felix felt uncomfortable about righteousness, self control and the judgment to come is he knew he was sinful but didn't want to change. Probably he was satisfied with his current status and worried about if he changed to be righteous he would lost some benefits, like bribes (v26). For myself, I remember when I was faced with the choice: should I accept Jesus and obey his words or remain my current status, I was considering the benefits, which one is better for me. I indeed worried about the loss if I changed myself, and usually the "loss" is related to sinful behaviors and thoughts. At that time, I chose to follow Jesus because I couldn't see bright future or hope if I didn't change myself, and I indeed had many sins. I wanted to try to know Jesus more. Gradually I realized that my choice to follow Jesus is right.

    ReplyDelete