Friday, May 9, 2014

Acts Chapter 20 - Paul's Farewell Tour

This chapter begins with encouragement but later adds a note of heaviness and sorrow as Paul is going around encouraging yet saying goodbye to the various churches - groups of believers - that he had spoken to before.
In the beginning of the chapter he is now travelling with a larger group than we've seen before with representatives from many of the various cities he's been to.  We know that some of them were spiritual children to Paul (Timothy) and likely all of them were persons who he had led to be disciples of Jesus.

I always find the account of Eutychus a bit humorous in the fact that he literally died from a long sermon.  The good news is that Jesus brought him back to life and they were greatly comforted.  It is a good reminder for me not to preach too long ;)

I find the way that he calls for the Ephesian elders a bit unusual.  When he "called the elders" I think that the only mechanism to do this is to have someone physically go there and then bring them back.  It seems that would take more time than for him to go to Ephesus.  But perhaps there were fast messengers and his personal travel might be slower.  Also, he is trying to get to Jerusalem by Pentecost and he realizes that it is difficult to only spend a short while in a place where there are many people who he loves and who love him.  So they meet in a port city - Miletus.

Paul's message to the Ephesian elders is very deep and poignant. He reminds them of how he lived among them and gave them an example and testifies that he has completed his job by speaking all that was necessary and helpful for them.  He also says that he will likely never see them again - he is saying goodbye. He urged them to take care of those in their care and warned that they and the flock would be attacked.  He commends them to God and his word of grace, recognizing that is all that they need.
Again he emphasizes his life example as a way for them to go:
1) ceaseless humble admonishment
2) not seeking money
3) working hard to care for himself and others

He himself said, "It is more blessed to give than receive".  These specific words are not found in the gospels, though similar ones are found (Luke 6:30, Matt 10:8) so it is quite likely that this is something that the Apostles told Paul that Jesus said and since he says "remember" it is also likely that they are familiar with these words.

It is quite a sad scene with Paul and the elders kneeling in prayer and weeping, knowing that they won't see each other again.

I am moved by the deep relationship that Paul has with these believers.  The love that they have for each other is obvious.  While Paul had left his home and family for the sake of the gospel, he received back many times over a new family in Christ Jesus.

Lord Jesus, give us a love for each other that runs deep, that we can be one as you and the Father are one.  I thank you that you are all that we need in life.  You saved us, are changing us and will bring us to completion and give us an inheritance among the sanctified.  Thank you Lord Jesus!

2 comments:

  1. I am moved by verse 31, “Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears”. I have experience that I had tears in my eyes and heart when I was thankful to God for his mercy and grace in me, but I haven’t had experience that I pray for others with tears. I believe Paul loves disciples deeply, and persuade them to stick to their faith in the Lord Jesus, help the week, and be willing to give. He loves his disciples more than himself. Lord Jesus, help me to grow up to be a godly man, like Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can also tell that Paul loves the disciples and other people very deeply, and he is even crying for them while he prays for them. I also feel like God helps me to have a nice range of emotions for different things. Before I would feel weird to cry and I tried to avoid any strong feelings because they might seem uncomfortable. But I would also like to grow in love for others more and more, even if this causes some additional pains and sorrows at times. I believe that God made us to love him deeply and also love others deeply, as Jesus commands us to do, and this is also our purpose in life.

    ReplyDelete