Monday, May 26, 2014

1 Thessalonians Chapter 4

In the preceding chapters, Paul has been encouraging and telling of his love for the Thessalonians and now he beings to give instructions.  Even during his instructions he is still encouraging and highlighting the good things that they have done.

The first instruction is about holy living and staying away from sexual immorality.  Based on this, this was a problem area, probably that they were coming out from and was likely rampant in the culture around them - certainly just as it is a major problem in society today and a major concern to call believers out from.  He makes clear that God is the one calling them and that God will bring vengeance for disobedience and it is an act of disobedience against God, not Paul.

Lord, keep us free from the temptation of sexual immorality!

He give instructions about loving the brethren and to 1) live quietly 2) mind own affairs 3) work with your hands so that you may walk 1) walk properly before outsiders 2) be dependent on no one.  These instructions are interesting to me and probably to some degree are a part of the foundation of the "protestant work ethic":  Work hard, live right, don't be dependent on others.  As I look at life today, I believe that there is a place for civic/societal action, making a call for change, fighting against evil in society but points 1 and 2 seem to point to a focus of righteous living in a private (vs. public) sphere.  I believe that the private life and private sphere must always be developed first.  These are young believers and they need to have a firm foundation in place.  Thinking about persons that God called to more public ministry, including Paul (also Moses, Daniel, David and even Jesus), there were years of more private foundation laying, growth in Christ before they were called to a larger stage.  Learning faithfulness and developing character is something that is done in private.

Lord Jesus, I pray for your training, your work and your direction in our lives.  Help us to live quietly before you and to bring glory to you in our lives.

Paul then discusses those who "fall asleep", a euphemism for dying.  They must have had some believers who had already died, perhaps because of age or more likely due to persecution.  It appears that God gave him a specific word about the future here and describes what will happen in the future to those who die who belong to Christ Jesus.  Some interesting points: 1) those who die in Christ will be resurrected when Christ returns 2) those in Christ who are still alive will then join Jesus in the air 3) we will always be with the Lord.
The other items he lists agree with descriptions in Revelation about Christ's return that there will be his command, the archangel's voice and the sounding of a trumpet of God.  Before this they wouldn't have known what would happen to those who died, but now they are given hope for the future based on a word of God to Paul for them.

I thank you Lord Jesus that we have hope in you both in life and in death, that we will always be with you.  Lead us in you and keep us until that day of your return.

3 comments:

  1. It was interesting to see clear description how the living people go to heaven.
    Paul already had known what will happen when Christ's return even before John see the visions and wrote the book of Revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have more impression on the instruction of avoiding sexual immorality. I know without the faith in Lord Jesus, I probably will fail in this area again and again. As I know many men (some of them are my relatives), no matter how rich or poor they are, well educated or not, fail in this area again and again. Lord Jesus, as a human being, I am weak myself in this area, and I cannot overcome sexual immorality if I don’t submit myself to you completely. Lord Jesus, please help me and others to avoid appearance of sexual immorality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like chapter 4 and 5 of 1 Thessalonians are packed with words from God to me. I can feel God speaking to me clearly through these words in the Bible.

    First I was touched by the instruction to live with the purpose of pleasing God, and to do this more and more. Sometimes I feel like I am tired or have done a lot already and I try to just keep going or even slow down and do less. But I can feel the Holy Spirit pushing me to do more and more in growing to follow Jesus and not give up or slow down.

    Second I am touched by the descriptions to the church about God's call to holy living and being free from sexual immorality. I know that I have struggled with this in my life, and I did try to stop sexual fantasy and perversion in my life using my own ability and trying to control myself, but I failed over and over again. It takes the power of God and a strong decision to obey his commands which are meant for our good in order to have freedom from this. I know and have felt God's call to purity and holy living, and it is not easy, but it is possible with faith in Jesus.

    Third I was touched by the call to be ambitious to lead a quiet life. Usually selfish ambition is focused on a desire to gain more money, fame, power, etc. But God wants me to desire a peaceful and quiet life, working with my hands to provide for myself and family and others, and not be entangled in the selfish ambitions of the world.

    I also really like the description that Paul gives about the return of Jesus and the resurrection of the believers to be with the Lord forever. This also seems like a different description of the "rapture" that I hear about a lot. From this verse I believe that the Christians will be "raptured" or as it says caught up to the clouds to meet Jesus in the air as he is coming down from heaven. And then as Jesus returns to the earth with his "holy ones" he will set up his world-wide kingdom here, and we will always be with him, either on earth or in the heavenly city.

    ReplyDelete