Wednesday, May 21, 2014

1 Thessalonians Chapter 2

Several things stand out to me in this chapter: 1) suffering shared by believers 2) Paul's love as a parent for the believers in Thessalonica and 3) an example of godly living.

In the suffering department, Paul describes the suffering that we read about in Acts wherein he was imprisoned in Philippi.  Additionally, he was effectively run out of town by violence from jealousy in Thessalonica that even followed him to the next cities he visited.  Not only that but the Thessalonican believers are also facing suffering, and Jason, one of the believers was dragged before the town leaders and was forced to pay money before being released.  Paul compares this suffering to that of the church in Jerusalem, the prophets and Jesus.  The encouraging news for the Thessalonicans is that they are not alone in their suffering.  It isn't because they are doing something wrong but actually because they are doing right and God is working in them.

Interestingly Paul describes his love for them both in terms of a mother and a father - as a mother with gentleness and nursing care; as a father with exhortation (encouraging command), encouragement and command.  This is interesting in several ways, both in the depth of love that Paul shows for them, but also makes some interesting practical and theoretical statements of the roles of mothers and fathers in the lives of their children.  In this regard it shows that their love (fathers vs mothers) is different, but shows the importance of both of them.  I'm sure that some pretty deep studies could follow from these statements of Paul.

Finally Paul demonstrated a godly life to the Thessalonians: 1) pleasing God, not man 2) no flattery or greed 3) not seeking recognition or money 4) hard work 5) giving so as not to be a burden 6) proclaiming gospel 7) holy, righteous and blameless living.  It is quite an impressive list!

Lord help me to be godly in my example and living, seeking to honor you and not myself, so that I can lead others in your ways.  Help me also to love and give myself for those you have given me and help me to not be overcome when I face persecution, but to stand strong in you and bring glory to your name!

4 comments:

  1. I was touched by the deep sense of love that Paul has for the disciples in Thessalonica. I think it is not easy to love people in this way, and requires the power of God working through Paul. I also want to be able to give to others and serve God in this way, in order to please him. It is good to see how God blesses the ministry of Paul, and the people are open to receive the words that he speaks as words from God. I think some people would be tempted to dismiss what he says as merely the words of man and his works merely the effort of man. But God is clearly with him, and I think that this deep love he has for these people who were initially strangers is further evidence of that. I remember that Paul writes elsewhere that the greatest of the spiritual gifts is love.

    I thought it was interesting in verse 18 he says that "Satan stopped us" from visiting the church. I'm not sure how this would happen. I remember at times in Acts it says that the Holy Spirit prevented Paul from going to a certain area at times. How did Satan oppose their travels? Was this manifested by persecution or imprisonment?

    I also find this statement interesting: "what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you?" I can see how the apostles and missionaries are glad when people turn to Christ, and I am surprised by the amount of pleasure they take in the success of their ministry. It seems to me like he is saying that these people will be a source of glory and praise for him when Jesus returns. Is that because Jesus will reward them for doing good work in ministering to these people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that the opposition from Satan was clearly the stirring up of the persons in the various towns that wanted to kill Paul. They ran him out of Thessalonica and then followed him to Berea and chased him out of there. Paul went to Athens and sent Timothy back to check on them in Thessalonica.

      And yes, there will be rewards given by God to those who believe in him and follow him (as well as judgement and punishment from those who turn away). 2 Cor 5:10 describes the judgement seat of Christ with both good and evil being duly rewarded. And 1 Cor 3:14 tells of the rewards given to those who serve faithfully and build on the foundation of Christ Jesus.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for summarizing the list on how to live a godly life. I am more impressed by point 1 (verse 4), “we are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts.” This is helpful for me to make decisions in my daily life. For instance, recently Hanlin and I wanted to give a gift to her father. We know he likes smoking and American-style cigarette may be the gift that pleases him. But I know cigarette is harmful for his body, and the body is the place for Holy Spirit even though my father in law isn’t a believer now. I communicated with Hanlin and we changed our mind and decided to choose a pair of shoe for him instead.

    Lord Jesus, I want to pray to you even for things that not seem like a big deal in my daily life, and I believe you always give the righteous directions for me and my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I feel the love of Paul toward Thessalonians, I experienced tremendous peace, joy, happiness.
    I guess any greatest movie can't describe those deep love in film.
    Bible is awesome. It expresses most deep emotion of true love.
    In v20, "you are our glory and joy."
    I believe each one of us are minister because God commaned us to spread the Gospel.
    As I spread the Gospel in God's way, I am sure they will be my Glory and joy.

    ReplyDelete