Thursday, May 15, 2014

Acts Chapter 27 - Paul Sails for Rome

This chapter picks back up on the excitement, but in a different form.  The story line in this chapter is now like an action/adventure movie.

Paul is headed to Rome as a prisoner, but as a trusted prisoner who is allowed to leave and go to friends at ports of call.  He also has at least two travelling partners, Luke (see "we" in v 3 and others) and Aristarchus from Thessalonica.  One curious note is that Paul visits the friends "and be cared for" (v 3).  This makes me wonder if he has some physical sickness or problem that is being cared for (perhaps his "thorn in the flesh" - 2 Corinthians 12:7) or was it simply that they were providing food etc.  It would seem that food had to be provided for others on the ship so perhaps this is some physical problem (he also had friends who attended to his needs while in prison - Acts 24:23).

Paul ominously warns the centurion and the ship pilot and owner about not setting sail from Fair Havens but they of course didn't listen so the adventure begins.  I'm sure it was a scary situation being blown about by a storm for 14 days with no sun nor stars and just storm on every side.  The people were so afraid that they didn't eat any food for that entire 14 days.  I've never seen a situation where things are so tense that even though there is food, people who aren't intentionally fasting don't eat.

Paul is able to be the calming influence during the storm because God is speaking to him and he knows the outcome even though there is no hope based on the circumstances.  He tells the people on the third day not to fear that none will be lost but the ship.  Then on the 14th day he encourages them to eat, and they do and all are strengthened and encouraged.

This whole scene reminds me of many adventures that I have had and that I've seen others have as they've followed Jesus.  When we follow him and let go of our own "safe" plans, our life becomes an adventure.  Sometimes it can be scary, but in the middle of the storm, God speaks and gives direction, hope and confidence to go on.

I remember one time on a plane ride where I was sleeping and there was a sudden loud crash sound and a jolt of the plane which woke me up.  For a few seconds I was afraid, but then I knew that God's hand was on me and he was protecting me, so I felt comforted and went back to sleep.  I was travelling with a friend from my secular job who isn't a believer but knows that I am.  He later told me that he was quite frightened and couldn't sleep anymore but it gave him comfort knowing that I was on the plane as well and he believed that God would protect me so he would be safe as well.

Lord Jesus, I thank you that you are the king of the universe and that you know the future, you love us and have our lives in your hands.  Help us to trust you completely so that we can be used by you and led by you in this adventure called life.  Help us not to shrink back in fear, but to go forward trusting you even when we can't see the outcome and all looks like storm and danger around us.  I love you and thank you for your goodness!

2 comments:

  1. Pastor Nathanael, I think your experience on the plane is also a measurement of strength of the faith in God. The stronger the faith in God, the more comfortable the feeling. I'm thinking if I was on the plane, whether I could feel comfortable and sleep. Unbelievers like the people in the ship and your friend can get encouragement from believers if they feel hopeless in dangerous situations. I heard a saying, "The end of a person is the beginning of God."

    Does anyone know why Luke and the Macedonian, Aristarchus, travel with Paul?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We aren't told specifically why they are travelling with Paul, though in all of Paul's travels he is always travelling with someone else. Jesus sent out the disciples two by two (Mark 6:7) and gave the principle of not ministering alone. So Paul probably requested to the Romans that they come along. We also see in Caesarea that his friends were "attending to his needs" (Acts 24:23). As I mentioned before, they could have simply been bringing him food or perhaps Paul had some kind of physical illness. In Paul's writings we see times that he sends for some people to join him and other times that people request to come or are sent by others (a group of believers in a given city) to join him. So there are various reasons why they were probably travelling with Paul.

    ReplyDelete