Wednesday, May 21, 2014

1 Thessalonians Chapter 3

Have you ever been anxiously waiting to hear the results of something - perhaps a test, or a doctor's diagnosis, or a response to a question?  Paul was greatly worried about the spiritual state of the Thessalonians after he had to leave them abruptly.  He was worried that the devil would have deceived them and led them astray.  He was like a parent watching his children going away from his sight for the first time and being very worried about their safety.

I have experienced this both as a parent and as a spiritual parent, wondering about those who have recently come to Christ and worried about their staying in Christ after we are separated for various reasons.  I can relate to his concern and worry, wanting to find out some news, any news.  After he couldn't bear the waiting any longer, he sent Timothy to encourage and strengthen them and find out how they are doing.

The depth of emotion that Paul shows is quite amazing!  Not only did he feel this worry, but he also tells them about it in very emotional, loving, encouraging language.  I think it is a good example for those men (like me) who tend to be the "strong silent" type.  It is important for us to be able to emote and communicate those feelings to those that we love.  We have to take down our walls and communicate the feelings that are happening on the inside.

Thank you Lord Jesus for the love that you showed to me and to the world!  You were humiliated for me, beaten for me and died for me - even though I didn't deserve it and wasn't a good person and still fail you.  Help me to love in the way that you love and to show that love to those who you bring to me.

2 comments:

  1. I compared the communication method in bible to ours.
    They had to send somebody to ask and encourage.
    We can just call or skype to the most of the country.
    It is convenient to be connected nowadays, however, at the same time, there are lots of information that distract us. (Facebook,news, games, etc.)
    I want to use the convenience of our technology, but having the deep relationship and love as Paul and Thessalonians had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will worry myself if I my own faith and confidence in the Lord God Jesus decreases, and also worry the person around me if his/her faith and confidence in the Lord decreases. No matter what the situation is, I will feel peaceful as long as I and the people around me keep the trust in Lord Jesus. Yes, encouraging each other is important, because as human beings we are weak in ourselves sometimes. Lord Jesus, you are trustworthy and love us and call each one of us forever!

    ReplyDelete