Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Acts Chapter 25 - Paul Appeals To Caesar

This chapter continues with large epic scenes and "great pomp" and Paul being on trial before Roman governors with many in attendance at the trials.

I think that the key action in this chapter is when Paul appeals to Caesar.  Festus has "inherited" Paul from Felix and has been in prison for now more than two years in Caesarea, though as we saw last chapter, he friends could come and go and bring him what he needs.  What is kind of amazing to me is that the Jewish leaders were still so upset at Paul that two years later having him killed is still a top priority.  As I've read this chapter many times I always have thought to myself "No Paul, don't appeal to Caesar" because in the next chapter King Agrippa says that Paul could have been released if he hadn't appealed to Caesar since he hadn't done anything deserving death.  It is similar to the feeling that I have while Paul is in Caesarea and is warned in a prophecy that he will be captured Jerusalem.  I am feeling  (like Luke and the believers in Caesarea - Acts 21:12) "No Paul, don't go to Jerusalem."  But God has another plan for Paul.  He is supposed to testify before kings that Jesus is the Christ (Messiah) and that Jesus came to save the world.  So Paul had to appeal to Caesar because the Lord told Paul in Acts 23:11 that he must testify about him in Rome.

Lord Jesus, give me the strength and courage to follow you, even when I know that hardships await.  I thank you that you are my king and that you love me and I choose to follow you all of my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment