Monday, May 19, 2014

1 Thessalonians Chapter 1

OK, I only hit the second word in the letter, "Silvanus", and I already am thinking "who?" Paul I know and Timothy I'm aware of, but who is Silvanus?  Well it turns out that Silvanus is a variant of Silas.  That helps, since we remember that Paul, Silas and Timothy were travelling together when they first visited Thessalonica.

I don't want to stop on every word, but it is good to remind ourselves about the word "church" = "ecclesia" = "called out ones".  It is people not a building, those people who have put their trust in Jesus Christ and have been called out of the world to follow him, and who are, as Paul puts it, "in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ".  So they belong to, are protected by and are "in" the Father and Jesus.

Paul begins this chapter with much encouragement,  first in the fact that they belong to God, second that Paul, Silas and Timothy are constantly praying for them and remembering them and third that God chose them as is evidenced by God's works among them.  Since Paul wasn't long with them initially and they are very new believers he is expressing his love and concern and is encouraging them.  I'm sure that Paul, just like a parent, is very concerned for these believers

Paul not only encourages them, but he also praises them for their work, love and steadfastness (v3), their good example to others (v 7-10), the fact that others are telling Paul about them (v 9-10).

I think that Paul gives us a great example of how to relate to others, to disciple others and how to parent in these:  he starts his conversation with plenty of encouragement and praise.

Sometimes we as parents, disciplers or leaders of any kind think that we need to hold back on praise so we don't "spoil" our children.  Often the problems and issues are on the front of our mind so we talk about those things first.  But Paul gives this great example of encouraging and praising first and doing so lavishly, not holding back.

Lord Jesus, help me to see how you see and to show love as you love.  Help me to learn from this example of encouragement and praise, because that is how you have treated me with your lavish love and kindness.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding the word "church". I think unbelievers and new believers often understand "church" as a building. I know in some places of my country, church leaders tend to spend more money in constructing majestic buildings, but spend less time and efforts in training new believers in the growths of spirit. Majestic buildings can attract some attention, but faith in Jesus needs heart and honesty. Lord Jesus, please help me and people keep eyes on you not the appearance of buildings, and help those church leaders make use of money following the direction from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul was writing letters to Thessalonians and disciple and make relationship with them remotely.
    I believe same thing happens in my life. Even though I am now living in Korea, I am reading the book of Thessalonians together wih this church and being discipled by Pastor. Nathanael!
    I am grateful to God for this happen!

    ReplyDelete