Monday, May 5, 2014

Acts Chapter 16

Wow!  There is a lot going on in this small chapter!
First, we see Timothy join Paul and Silas and we know that later he becomes a spiritual son of Paul (1 Tim 1:2).  At first Paul's action of having Timothy circumcised while delivering a message about Gentiles not needing to be circumcised seems odd and contradictory! Didn't Paul just argue that Gentiles don't need to be circumcised?  Yes!  But then we look at the "why".  Paul strongly states that no one should be circumcised as a requirement of salvation and that if someone gets circumcised thinking it will save them or it is a requirement for salvation, it will actually be a hindrance (Gal 5:2,3).  However, there is another reason why one could be circumcised: To become like those to whom he is ministering so that obstacles are removed (I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. 1 Corinthians 9:22).  I think that this is why Paul had Timothy circumcised.  This is an area that I think as Christians we often get stuck in our Christian culture and it creates a barrier as we try to bring the good news to those who don't know Jesus. The balance here is that we cannot become like the world in areas of sin.  We not of this world (John 17:14-18) in that we are not to conform to the pattern of the world (Rom 12:2), nor love the sinful ways of the world (1 John 2:15), but we are to love the world as God does (John 3:16) and be an ambassador of Jesus Christ to the world we are in (2 Corinthians 5:20).
Lord Jesus, let me see others the way that you see them and to be able to offer your love and forgiveness to a hurting world and please give me wisdom to remove all unnecessary barriers especially as I speak to those people you are bringing me to.

Next we see some interesting examples of God speaking to Paul in specific ways and directing his paths.  These are important for us as we listen to hear God's voice to know the ways of God and how he speaks to us.  He was travelling along by land from the Galatian region (cities of Lystra, Derbe, Iconium - to whom he wrote the letter to the Galatian churches) speaking to people about Jesus in each place as he traveled.  However as he passed through Asia (region in current Turkey), the Holy Spirit didn't allow them to speak there.  He wanted to go to Bythinia (northern Turkey today) but again he was forbidden by the Spirit of Jesus.  These are interesting to me that 1) God tells us not to speak to people at some times 2) the Holy Spirit is also known as the Spirit of Jesus.  Finally as they got to Troas, God spoke to Paul in a vision at night, having a man from Macedonia (cities such as Philippi, Thessalonica and Berea) calling them to come to help.  Note that this time God didn't say "Paul, go to Macedonia" but rather he saw a man from Macedonia calling him.  So at times, especially with visions (like Peter's vision of the sheet in Acts 10) there may be a need for interpretation, which is a gift of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12,14; Gen 40:8; Daniel 2:28).
Lord Jesus, let me hear your words and be sensitive to your speaking and give me the gift of interpretation so that I may understand what you are speaking.

Small side note: Notice the "we/us" language (v 10)?  This is when Luke, the author, is traveling with Paul.

Next in Philippi, a city in Macedonia, we again see the joys and pains of telling others about Jesus.  A woman is freed from an evil spirit and rather than being happy, people get upset, have Paul and Silas beaten and then thrown into prison.  But in the middle of that pain, Jesus miraculously opens the prison doors and looses the bonds and stocks.  The jailer almost kills himself in fear but on discovery that they are still there, ends up giving his life to Jesus who has the power to free from prison.  This man at first locks Paul and Silas into prison and is an enemy, but then as God does his work, he and his whole family become friends and brothers in Christ Jesus!

Several things always interest me about this: 1) Paul and Silas after being beaten and put in prison are praying and singing hymns to God at midnight and the other prisoners are listening.  This says something about their attitude that they are not focused on the short-term physical difficulties, but rather keeping their eyes on Jesus in the middle of the storm.  In my experience, when things are going bad, it helps to pray and cry out to Jesus and even sing! It would have been easy for Paul and Silas to perhaps think "Maybe Jesus didn't want us to come to Macedonia after all."  But they kept their eyes on Jesus, put their trust in him and saw that he was in fact working and that this was where he wanted them, even though it was very difficult at this time.  Jesus, help me to keep my eyes on you, even in the face of severe opposition, so that my joy and hope can be built on you.
2) Paul refuses to simply leave when asked to go, but demands that the magistrates come down in person and apologize.  This takes some guts.  It reminds me of the situation that Debbie has told about when she and Pastor Gordon were in Nigeria and they were told that they must purchase a plane ticket and leave.  Pastor Gordon refused and said that if they are requiring them to leave, that they must provide the ticket.  I think that these are examples of the boldness that the Holy Spirit gives in a situation as he directs our paths.

Thanks be to God who speaks to us, leads us, helps us in times of trouble and saves people who might seem to be opponents of the good news of Jesus Christ!

2 comments:

  1. The Holy Spirit kept Paul and his companions from preaching the gospel in the province of Asia and Bithynia. I don’t know why God didn’t allow them to go to these places, but I believed the direction from God was the best for them. I myself now look for a job, and there may be many choices for me. I need the direction from our Lord on which place He wants me and my family to be and which position is the best for me. I think I need to combine my job with the service for God’s kingdom, so my life could be really meaningful and joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen the great harmony of God’s plan and disciples followings.
    God was leading Paul and Silas where to go and speak and not to speak.
    Macedonia was great place to speak as God led and the jailer didn’t kill himself because God made Paul stay there.
    I pray Jesus that you lead us where to go and speak about you!

    ReplyDelete