Sunday, May 11, 2014

Acts Chapter 23 - The Murder Plot Uncovered

This chapter in Acts reads more like a movie with action, intrigue and epic Roman soldier scale.  I can almost picture it being filmed like some of those epic movies (like Ben Hur, the 10 Commandments etc) with the big Roman palaces, plenty of Roman troops and horsemen, and a smaller scene in the jail cell.

The first thing that interests me is Paul's interactions with the Jewish leaders.  First it is odd that the high priest orders Paul to be struck in the mouth just for his opening statement, which didn't seem very controversial.  I used to wonder how Paul didn't know who the high priest was but now I can understand since the high priests do change and Paul has been out of the country for quite a few years.

Then when he sees that they aren't interested in hearing him, he takes advantage of the internal struggles between the two groups who are there accusing him - the Pharisees and the Sadducees.  He announces that he is a Pharisee and that he is on trial because of the resurrection of the dead.  This is all that is necessary to get the two groups arguing since the Pharisees believe in resurrection and Sadducees don't.  This is quite a humorous and wise diversion.

The issue of the plot against Paul is interesting to me because when he becomes aware of the threat he can respond in a few different ways 1) ignore the threat because God is in control 2) recognize that the God who is in control has uncovered the plot to him so he should in turn expose it to the authorities.  Sometimes I think I would go toward the #1 but that may be on the over-religious/over-spiritual side.  Just as God uses us as his ambassadors, there are times he uses other people to bring his words to us.  It reminds me of a joke where a person was in a flood and all these persons kept coming to rescue them and the person kept saying "I have faith in God. I'll wait for him to rescue me."  After he died in the flood he asked God why he didn't rescue him and God said "I sent you two boats and a helicopter.  What more did you want?"  Sometimes I can be like that guy.

Lord Jesus help me not to ignore those people that you bring into my life to speak to me and show me what you are saying.  Give me the wisdom to hear you when you are speaking to me, no matter what way you choose to speak.

So this whole thing about being arrested makes one think then, "why did God want him to go to Jerusalem?" It seems that the discussion with the Jewish leaders was not very helpful or meaningful.  But God had other plans for Paul and he said "Take courage, for as you have testified to the facts about me in Jerusalem, so you must testify also in Rome."  As we will see, God is bringing Paul to a different kind of audience.  He had been speaking to the everyday citizens in the various towns that he had gone through, but now God was going to have him speak to the rulers and leaders in Jerusalem, Judea and in Rome.
While he is in prison at this point, he is not being beaten or treated poorly.  In fact, he probably had much worse treatment as he was going along on his missionary trips and was beaten, stoned, flogged and imprisoned.

Thank you Father God that you hold our lives in your hand and you not only know what is best for us, but you have prepared good works for us to do.  Help me to honor you, to trust you and to follow you in all of my life.  Use my life in your ways and for your glory.



3 comments:

  1. I read over Acts 23:11 and didn't see this the first time, but just now saw when I looked back from chapter 25, that Jesus himself came and visited Paul in jail and stood beside him and spoke to him. Jesus didn't just speak to Paul in spirit, but it says that he "stood by him". It is said almost in passing, but that is another amazing situation!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I noticed that too. I think it would be really comforting and encouraging to have Jesus come and stand with me in the jail! I think this would make me feel really happy even though before I might have been scared and worried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul's wisdom that he took advantage of the internal struggles between the Pharisees and the Sudducees reminds me of the words of Jesus, Matthew 10:16, "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves".

    I also like the joke about waiting for God's help. I think the person followed his own will not God's will. I am over-religious sometimes, and don't recognize the words from God spoken to me. I should pray in these situations and follow God's will.

    ReplyDelete